Monday 30 November 2009

40! And Past It???

I am perturbed! On having a general 'mummy chat' in the playground with regards to the future possibility of having more babies.... I was included in a 'friend's' and I use that term loosely, comment.. "When you get to 'our' (meaning herself and me) age, I think you're past it". Yes an off the cuff comment, with regards to her feelings on extending her family, however, I take a few issues...

1) I am 32 and not the 40 whole years which she is!

2) What kind of attitude is that to have!

Unusually, this comment has gotten me pondering, normally I am adept at shrugging off all the opinions & gossip of others, of which I seem to feature regularly! But this one sticks with me... and why? Is it because subconsciously ageing worries me? Is it because I am outwardly worried I am appearing to be 8 years older than what I am? Is it because yet again I am standing with a group of mummy's wondering what exactly makes some people just splurt out whatever happens to pass through their mind?

So after stamping home, checking thoroughly in the mirror for signs of wrinkles, the requirement for Botox, weighing up the possibility of needing a rejuvenating diet overhaul & intensive Private Benjamin style workout schedule... I decide the following (over I might add, a nice cup of tea & a homemade cookie)

I obviously come across to people as being wise & knowledgeable beyond my years, giving me a general air of wisdom, sophistication and grace! I need to choose more carefully with whom I stand with in the playground, therefore avoiding such public errors in future. Im also struck by how incredibly sad it must be to feel that at 40 you are past it! Babies, life, whatever?? I am genuinely hoping that by the time I reach the fabulous age of 40 Im still very much with it as apposed to past it!

... can't harm to drink a little more water though, maybe perhaps tone up a little... consume a few more antioxidants...

OR work on my left hook!

2 comments:

  1. I hit 40 this year (soon to be last year, dammit) and What Is That Woman On About? I look as good as I ever did, though more mature, I am as fit as I've ever been and maybe more so and happier than I can remember. I found my first 2 grey hairs recently - yes 2! - and am assured that I'm not doing too badly on that score.

    I have been changing my lifestyle recently, it's true (as much to do with having a child as anything else -she's 3). Hardly any drinking alcohol, no loss - have done that one to death, more sleep (the kid's fault again). Getting older means making sure you keep fit and don't let yourself 'go'. Having children just accentuates this because you have to keep on top of it for them.

    Go and stand with someone else in the playground, someone who believes in life and not with that old bag ;)

    ReplyDelete